A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words

A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words

When it comes to describing the multitude of scenic options available to filmmakers in Oklahoma, the conversation starts with 7,000 words… and they are beautiful!

custom branded viewmaster  

“Our goal is to grow and support the film and music industries in Oklahoma,” said Lindsey Flowers from the Oklahoma Film + Music Office. “We are always looking for new ways to showcase the diverse locations for filming in Oklahoma.” What better way than with a cool retro 3D slide viewer (remember ViewMaster™?!) featuring hi-resolution images of Oklahoma locations?

“This really is the perfect item for us,” explained Lindsey. “We are a division of the Oklahoma Department of Tourism and Recreation. We support events and festivals around the state as well as manage our state film incentives.” To meet this goal, representatives also attend international events such as the Sundance Film Festival and SXSW to meet filmmakers and share information about filming in Oklahoma.


The Film + Music office hosted a reception at Sundance where several of the branded viewers (featuring the new logo!) were passed around. “We gave them to key people at the reception,” Lindsey said, “but lots of people looked at them.” And that’s the idea… Getting the film industry to look at Oklahoma!

“We are one of the top 3 states offering incentives in the US with a 35% cash rebate for qualifying expenditures for films” said Lindsey. “And, an extra 2% (total 37% rebate) for projects using music recorded in Oklahoma by an Oklahoma artist.”

Oklahoma Film + Music 

As their name implies, the Film + Music office doesn’t just focus on film. Music is very much an important part of the scene. This year, they launched the Oklahoma Music Trail: Rhythm & Roots. As part of TravelOK.com, this website is chock full of information about music in Oklahoma, from photo archives to trivia games to history by genre. Plus, there are travel itineraries to see the stomping grounds of Oklahoma music legends such as Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, the Kings of Leon, JJ Cale and the Flaming Lips.

The Film + Music website also features the official statewide directory for talent, crew and support personnel as well as a schedule of what is being filmed within the state. “We want to be the resource for filmmakers and musicians!"

It's time to see what YOU can do!


We've been hearing A LOT of buzz about the "magic snow" cards we sent out recently. These are, by far, the best way to play in the snow... right on your desktop! Did you get one? Show us!

Didn't get one? Well, now's your chance! Get your's before they're gone!